Intersil announced the ISL7861012-cell lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery pack monitor. It provides cell balancing and accurate voltage and temperature monitoringto safeguardLi-ionbattery packs in hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and electric vehicles. System designers can use the ISL78610 as a standalone battery-pack monitor or as a redundant back-up device when combined with the high accuracy ISL78600 multi-cell battery manager. This combination enablesautomobile manufacturersto achieve the higher ISO 26262 automotive safety integrity level (ASIL) D rating.
The ISL78610 monitors and balances up to 12 cellswith accurate voltage readings and diagnostics. This lets system designersmakeinformed decisions based on absolute voltage levels rather than simply receiving a“system not OK” signal indicating an out-of-range condition. The ISL78610 includes a voltage reference, 14-bit analog-to-digital converter and registers for control and data, while connecting directly to a microcontroller through its 2-Mbps SPI interface. The device also offersfour external temperature inputs, and includes fault detection and diagnostics for all key internal functions.
The battery monitoring and managementICs meet the stringent safety, reliability and performance requirements of next generation automotive battery pack systems.Together, the ISL78610 and ISL78600 offerinternal and external fault detection such as open wire, over and under voltage as well as temperature and cell balancing faults to mitigate battery pack failures. Multiple devices can be daisy-chained together to support systems with up to 168 cells using a proprietary communications system thatprovides industry-leading transient and EMC/EMI immunity, which exceedscarmaker requirements.Intersil’s daisy-chain architecture uses low-cost capacitive isolation with twisted pair wiring to stack multiple battery packs together, while the ICs internal protection guardsagainst hot plug and high voltage transients. A watchdog timer automatically shuts down a daisy-chained IC if communications is lost with the master microcontroller.
Key Features and Specificationsof ISL78610
- Monitors up to 12 cell voltages with ±10mV measurement accuracy
- VBAT measurement accuracy ±100mV
- Measures absolute voltage rather than preset voltagelevels
- Internal and four external temperature monitoring inputs
- Watchdog timer shuts down device if communications is lost with master controller
- Integrated system diagnostics for all key internal functions
- 2Mbps SPI interface provides communication with microcontroller
- AEC-Q100 Grade-2 qualifiedfor operation from -40°C to +105°C
Key Features and Specificationsof ISL78600
- Monitors up to 12 cell voltages with ±1.5mV measurement accuracy
- Cell voltage scan rate of 20μs per cell
- Passive balancing
- Integrated system diagnostic functions, including cell over and under-voltage, over temperature, open cell monitoring wires, open temperature monitoring wires, VBAT and VSS connection integrity, voltage reference and oscillator function
- AEC-Q100 Grade-2 qualified for operation from -40°C to +105°C
Pricing and Availability
The ISL78610 is available now in a 10mm x 10mm, 64-lead TQFP package and is priced at $6.30 USD in 1k quantities. For more information, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl78610.
The ISL78600 is available now in a 10mm x 10mm, 64-lead TQFP package and is priced at $7.00USD in 1k quantities. For more information, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl78600.